Modern day toners are becoming a vital part of skin care regimens because they:
- Best prepare skin to absorb the treatments and moisturizers we use to repair and protect our skin; and
- Keep our skin in the safe pH range to avoid a wide variety of skin problems and damage1.
We are also fans of offering more than a correct skin pH level - so we've added gentle exfoliation that works hand-in-glove with toning to improve skin radiance (the degree to which our clean skin reflects light).
To review pH quickly, it is how acidic or alkaline our skin is at any time. The pH scale runs from 0 (acid) to 14 (alkaline) with 4.8 to 6.0 being a safe range for human skin (slightly acidic). When our skin stays in that healthy range, skin conditions are not aggravated and the part of our skin defense network called the acid mantle (a slightly acidic film on skin's surface that repels bacteria and other environmental aggressors) functions at its best.
Exfoliation, on the other hand, is the process by which dead cells and leftover debris from cleansing are removed to improve skin radiance and overall skin health. When adding an exfoliant to a toner, we prefer glycolic acid and gluconolactone to smooth and reveal fresh, radiant skin.
Here's how we make our Gentle Exfoliating Toner a twice-a-day radiance booster:
- Glycolic Acid, a naturally derived alpha-hydroxy acid from sugarcane, penetrates deeper than other exfoliants;
- Gluconolactone is a polyhydroxy acid that offers similar benefits to alpha-hydroxy acids while remaining gentler to the skin;
- Ethyl Ascorbic Acid is a stable form of Vitamin C and powerful antioxidant to brighten complexion while protecting skin from free radical damage;
- Chondrus Crispus (Red Algae) Extract is an powerful antioxidant that contains beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein to protect the skin from environmental pollutants; and
- Hyaluronic Acid delivers instantaneous plumping moisture into skin’s surface, which promotes healthy cell formation and encourages skin recovery after aggression.
Experience how gentle toning and exfoliating can improve your natural glow here