My daughter, Alexis, concocted this wonderful berry tart recipe that I am proud to share with all of you. Baking has been a wonderful way for my family to pass the time. This is the quintessential summer dessert with its light, sweet citrusy flavors.
What you'll need:
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ sticks of butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp of ice water (or however much you need to form a dough)
2 tsp of fresh grated lemon zest
Filling (Lemon Diplomat Cream):
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet of gelatine
- Strawberries and blueberries (to decorate)
What to do:
- Combine dry ingredients and lemon zest in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Cut the butter into cubes and pinch it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add the egg yolk and ice water and knead until just combined.
- Form a ball out of the dough and flatten it into a thick disk.
- Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour or overnight if needed.
- Before rolling the dough out, preheat your oven to 375℉.
- Roll out the dough to your desired thickness and size and place it on your pie or tart pan (I prefer using one with a removable bottom).
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool the baked crust before placing any filling in.
- Combine the two cups of whole milk with ¼ cup of the sugar in a pan and heat over medium heat until scalding.
- Combine the rest of the granulated sugar (¼ cup) with the corn starch, egg yolks, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture by slowly streaming the milk mixture into the bowl while quickly mixing. When it is ready, add the rest of the milk mixture. (this step is to ensure that the milk doesn’t make the yolk mixture into scrambled eggs)
- Add the entire mixture back into the pot and cook over medium heat until you get a thick pastry cream. While it is still hot, add the butter and stir thoroughly until it is combined with the pastry cream.
- Refrigerate the pastry cream until cool, and then add the lemon juice and lemon zest, stirring until fully combined.
- Whip the 1 cup of heavy cream to soft peaks. Meanwhile, add the packet of gelatine to 1 ½ tbsp of cold water and place in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it completely dissolved.
- Add the melted gelatine to the whipped cream and continue to whip to stiff peaks. Make sure that you cool your gelatine down slightly before adding to prevent it from separating from the whipped cream.
- Fold the whipped cream into the pastry cream in a large bowl until just combined (you want to do this carefully so as to prevent air from escaping the whipped cream).
Refrigerate the mixture until it is thick and no longer runny.
Assembling the tart:
- Fill the tart shell with the lemon diplomat cream and refrigerate until set (about 1-2 hours depending on your climate).
- Decorate with berries, chocolates, sauces, etc. as you please and enjoy your delicious tart!