While sounding like the hokey headline for a Hollywood disaster film - in the skin world it's a factual statement about how our own cells are reprogrammed to damage us over time.
When our skin comes into contact with oxygen, our cells absorb and process that oxygen through our normal metabolic processes, also known as oxidation. A byproduct of that oxidation is the creation of Reactive Oxygen Species, many of which are healthy for us and some of which are not. Within the family of Reactive Oxygen Species molecules resides a nasty group known as the free radicals.
Free radicals have been shown over a variety of scientific studies to cause long term skin damage. Further, the creation of these free radicals is strongly influenced and accelerated when our skin is exposed to both indoor and outdoor environmental irritants like pollution, UV sunlight and ozone.
How to Deal with Free Radicals
Thankfully, scientists and dermatologists have spent decades examining and demonstrating good solutions for neutralizing and eliminating these unwelcome invaders. That science led us to adopt topical antioxidants as a lead weapon in the fight back. We have liberally peppered many of our products with a wide variety of antioxidant blends; and our products are specifically formulated to eliminate free radicals and to encourage our skin's natural repair mechanisms.
The VU Perspective
Of all our antioxidant powered products, our Free Radical Defense Serum packs our most potent punch by blending 18 powerful antioxidants including those from 6 super fruits with very high ORAC* scores:
- Coffee Berry
We could have stopped there, and we didn't because a wider antioxidant variety from these following sources brings even more help in the fight against free radicals:
- White and Green Tea extracts neutralize free radicals from smog, tobacco smoke and other forms of air pollution.
- Astaxanthin is the most potent antioxidant carotenoid found to date and its orange pigment from microalgae naturally colors our serum.
- Thermus Thermophillus Ferment Extract is another carotenoid that repairs and protects against heat-activated free radicals.
- Ergothioneine is a unique amino acid found in mushrooms and beans that is the key energizing antioxidant for your cells.
- Pear, Hibiscus and Assafoetida extracts protect from sunlight-derived free radicals that are at the root of inflammation and skin sensitivity.
Fighting the free radicals on our skin isn't science fiction, it's one of the keys to healthier and glowing skin. Please join us in that fight with our Free Radical Defense Serum.
* Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) measures antioxidant strength in foods and supplements. Developed by the National Institute on Aging in the National Institutes of Health (NIH).